Tuesday, October 4, 2016

VIDEO: St. Elias Church reopens - Cлава Богу!

Walt was pleased to be in the company of a number of his agents this past weekend for the Consecration of the newly rebuilt Saint Elias Ukrainian Catholic Church in Brampton ON, Canada. A devastating fire burned the first church to the ground just before Easter of 2015, but, as reported here, the temple has been rebuilt. Cлава Богу!

The Consecration began with a Festal Vigil on Friday evening. The Great Consecration and Divine Liturgy were celebrated on Saturday morning. The first Sunday Divine Liturgy the next day was followed by a coffee social.

Hundreds of parishioners and guests from as far away as Europe attended the ceremonies. Among those present were His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav, head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, who flew in from Ukraine, and His Grace Bishop Stephen Chmilar, Eparch of Toronto.

75% of the cost of rebuilding the church was covered by insurance. The parish is still raising money to cover the remaining 25%. In particular, many 1000s of dollars and many years will be needed to restore the magnificent iconostasis which graced the old church. If you wish to contribute, you can send your cheque, payable to "St. Elias", to Father Roman Galadza at 10193 Heritage Rd., Brampton, ON, L7A 0A1, Canada. Or just click here to go to the Canada Helps web page. Tell them Walt sent you!

Photos by Agent 78. Thank you!

And here is a video of the highlights from the Great Consecration. Running time is 35:15. Perhaps just watch a little to hear the beautiful music and get the flavour of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment