Friday, July 9, 2021

MUSIC VIDEO: Album release: Maria Muldaur sings with Tuba Skinny

Every young man should have a crush on a girl singer, at least once in his life, right? When I was young(er) [MUCH "young(er") Ed.] I was hot for Maria Muldaur. 

I bought her first album, just to get the hit single "Midnight at the Oasis", but when I looked at the cover photo and listened to the first cut on Side B -- "Don't You Feel My Leg (Don't You Get Me High)" -- I couldn't help but feel "Heaven's above!" (Yes Father, I mentioned this in confession, ages ago.)

Over the decades I lost track of Ms Muldaur, so was delighted when she came out of retirement (I presume) to sing with my favourite New Orleans jazz (formerly Dixieland jazz) band, Tuba Skinny

Erika Lewis has been the vocalist with the band since Day One, but has recently been on a "time out", thus opening the door, so to speak, for Maria. She's put on some weight [You too! Ed.] but still has a beautiful sultry voice [Not you too! Ed.], just the type for this kind of folksy-bluesy music.

In May, Tuba Skinny and Maria Muldaur released "Let's Get Happy Together", their first (but, one hopes, not last) album together. Here is the official album release concert, recorded at the historic Dew Drop Social and Benevolent Hall in Mandeville LA.  


The album is on Stony Plain Records. You can click here to stream, download or order the CD. And don't forget to tip the band! When you donate, please tell them Walt sent ya! (No, I don't get a commission, just want them to know I'm trying to help.)

Footnote: Shaye Cohn, seen here playing the cornet, leads Tuba Skinny. Although she can play some half dozen other instruments, she doesn't sing... but in my fever dreams she doesn't need to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment