Thursday, May 24, 2018

Truth in advertising, Alabama style

Arentcha tired of seeing ads for gyms, spas and weight-loss programmes that tell you it's possible for you (Fatso!) to look ripped, fit, tanned and beautiful, just like those 20-somethings in their ads, with hardly any effort, but at the cost of megabucks? Dontcha think it would be nic if somebody told you the truth: that fitness comes only if you work at it, and even then won't make you sex-toy handsome or beautiful?

Today, from Alabama, comes a report that someone has dared to tell that stone truth. The speaker of truth to blubber is Scott Campbell, a former AL state trooper, now the owner of Pell City Fitness, in Pell City AL (duh!). In front of his gym, he put up this very truthful sign.


As you might expect, Mr Campbell's sign has drawn a lot of attention, including that of the SJWs who get their hair on fire about "body-shaming". Somebody -- probably someone with a body mass index of about 40 -- reported Mr Campbell to city hall, who told him to take down the sign or face a $500 fine. Ah, the cost of telling the truth!

Mr Campbell defended the message behind the sign in a personal Facebook video. "I'm not mean-spirited at all," he said, with the sign as a backdrop. "This sign was a playful jab; it's supposed to be an attention-grabber. I love people, I care about people, and you know what, I don't care if you're ugly or not. I can help you get in shape and that's kind of the attitude of the sign. When I started working out, I was 300 pounds and had to find somebody who could relate to me and understand how to help me lose weight. So that's what I wanted to do here."

Walt hopes that Mr Campbell's business will expand, just like the waistlines of those for whom the truth hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment