What follows is (according to Snopes) an Internet meme which has been around since the 90s. Somehow this escaped Walt's attention until earlier this month the Washington Post reported, in its Education section, that a Mobile AL public school teacher has been suspended after giving "The L.A. Math Proficiency Test" to Grade 8 students, just a few days before the end of the school year.
Apparently some of the kids' parents -- well, one parent, anyway -- complained to the Mobile County Public School System that the quiz that drew used inappropriate themes and had "racist overtones". Check it out and see if you can figure out why they would think that.
1. Ramon has an AK 47 with a 30 round clip. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Ramon attempt before he has to steal more ammo and reload?
2. Leroy has 2 ounces of cocaine. If he sells an eightball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?
3. Dwayne pimps 3 ho’s. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne’s $800 per day crack habit?
4. Raul wants to cut the pound of cocaine he bought for $40,000 to make a 20% profit. How many one ounce bags will he need to make to obtain the 20% profit?
5. Desmond gets $200 for a stolen BMW, $150 for stealing a Corvette, and $100 for a 4×4. If he steals one BMW, 2 Corvettes, and 3 4x4s, how many more Corvettes must he steal to have $900?
6. Pedro got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 of the hit money per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
7. If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet, and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with three 8 ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint left over?
8. Tyrone knocked up four girls in the gang. There are 20 girls in the gang. What is the exact percentage of girls that Tyrone knocked up?
9. LaShaundra is a lookout for the gang. Lacuna also has a boa constrictor that eats 5 rats per week at a cost of $5 per rat. If LaShaundra makes $700 per week as a lookout, how many weeks can she feed the boa on one week’s income?
10. Marvin steals Juan’s skateboard. As Marvin skates away at 15 miles per hour, Juan loads his .357 Magnum. If it takes Juan 20 seconds to load his piece, how far away will Marvin be when he gets whacked?
The Post (Donald Trump's least favourite newspaper) quotes school board spokesthingy Rena Philips as saying that a parent raised concerns about the assignment, in response to which the school immediately called the PC police and placed the teacher on administrative leave.
Ms Philips declined to identify the teacher or offer more details, citing privacy concerns related to personnel matters. "We regret that this happened, especially so close to the end of the school year," she said. "We have 7500 employees in Mobile County public schools, and the vast majority of them are doing phenomenal work in our classrooms."