Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Black man asks for admission to Heaven

The weekend's protest (or riot or whatever) at Charlottesville VA got me to thinking about the South, as it was and as it is. I did spend a few days there, around the time of LBJ's Reconstruction 2.0, in the mid-60s. Here's a little joke that was going around then.

One day a young black man showed up at the gates of Heaven and was met by Saint Peter. "I'd like to be admitted to Heaven, sir," he said.
"Fine," said St Peter, " but first tell me what you've done lately which would give you the right to be admitted."
"Well", came the answer, "I marched from Selma to Montgomery in a civil rights march."
Said the gatekeeper, "A lot of people marched from Selma to Montgomery. Maybe there's something else?"
"Yes, I got married on the courthouse steps at Montgomery at noon."
"What's so unusual about that?"
"I married a white woman!"
St Peter's eyes widened. "What?! You married a white woman on the courthouse steps in Montgomery, Alabama, at twelve o'clock noon? When was that?!"
"Oh, about two minutes ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment