Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What DO they eat, there?

To the Wormy Apple (it's rotten to the core) to shop for Asian food. I live in a small town, so a trip to the big smoke is necessary to find anything more exotic than bok choy. While Mrs. Walt laded the cart with chicken claws, jiaozi, ribbon fish, wood ears and other fungi, I busied myself checking out the unusual brand names of some of the products on offer.

You've probably already heard of Pocari Sweat, a well-known (?) Japanese sports drink, the oriental version of Gatorade. I was first introduced to it when I bellied up to a bar in China and asked if they had any energy drinks. The barman said "No Sweat" and gave me a Coke. Sweat is now available in powdered form. Just add water and sweaten to taste.

How about some junk food...errr, snacks. You can choose from Hello Panda -- presumably not made from any endangered species -- or Pocky, whatever that is. But it's not as if we don't have strangely named snacks on this side of the Pacific. How about Milk Duds, the most aptly-named candy I ever tasted.

Walt's prize for Strangest Brand Name goes to... the envelope please... Placenta! You wash your face etc. with it. It's herbal soap. As for me, I'll stick with Ivory.

Are there any brand names, oriental or occidental, that strike you as odd? Share them with us. Click on the headline and the post will display on its own page, with a comments box at the bottom. Thums Up! (It's an Indian substitute -- a damn poor one -- for Coca-Cola.)

No comments:

Post a Comment