Thursday, June 18, 2015

God's opinion of "Caitlyn" Jenner

In "Choosing one's identity", Walt suggested -- or meant to suggest -- that there was something unnatural, or just plain WRONG, about making yourself out to be black when you're white, or a woman when you're a man. Who are we, I meant to ask, to try to change our identities from the ones God gave us?

One reader has had the temerity to ask where I get off saying changing one's identity is somehow contrary to God's law? OK, I'll tell you where...

Deuteronomy 23:1 - An eunuch, whose testicles are broken or cut away, or yard [= penis] cut off, shall not enter into the church of the Lord.


That's the Douay-Rheims translation. The King James Version (and yes, I do have one), reads: He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

A little more colourful, isn't it... Either way, the Word of God says clearly that if you're born with that dangly bit between your legs, you'd best leave it there.

Further reading: "Race and gender: I feel therefore I am", by one of Walt's favourites, Margaret Wente, in the Globe and Mail 19/6/2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment