Wednesday, June 10, 2015

G&M readers comment on "Caitlyn Jenner is a woman..."

Last Sunday, in "What's wrong with this picture?", I gave you my take on the Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner non-story, said take being: if an aging queer having a sex-change op and becoming the ugliest ever Vanity Fair cover "girl" is the most important issue Americans have to think about, God save the USA!

The following day, I realized I hadn't really answered my own question, as expressed in the headline, so posted "Answer to 'What's wrong with this picture?'", in which I said that changing or attempting to change your gender from whichever one God created you is wrong. Period.

In the latter post, I mentioned I referred to "op-ed pieces with titles like 'Caitlyn Jenner is a woman and deserves to be described as such' (posted by the Groan and Wail's Pubic Editor)." Let me make a couple of corrections. The newspaper in question is actually the Globe and Mail, and the piece was by the G&M's Public Editor. Must have been a Freudian slip...

The gist of "Caitlyn Jenner is a woman and should be described as such" is evident from the headline. Sylvia Stead, the Pubic Editor in question, tells G&M readers [Sid and Doris Bonkers. Ed.] in no uncertain terms that it's politically incorrect to refer to Jenner's operation, or her rather unwomanly appearance or anything else which would suggest that "she" had ever been anything other than a woman, yada yada yada.

To my surprise, the paper allowed comments on Ms Stead's masterpiece of homofascism. Here are three of them. Click here to read the rest.

AnnoyedTory: The last time I looked the Charter says Freedom of speech, not dictatorial demands. Bruce Jenner is Bruce Jenner whatever he thinks he is now he is still Bruce Jenner. I am tired of all you ultra left wing people telling me what I can and cannot say. Just because someone says one thing or does something does not mean we all have to agree with it. That is what freedom of speech is all about. There is no hatred here just belief and opinion which we are all entitled to.

David J C Cooper1: Whatever Jenner is is not on my "to do"list. The media likes sparkly things that make loud noises. That hardly seems like any kind of compass, moral or otherwise.

maree: How can you tell us, in effect, to fight against gender stereotypes (as you do elsewhere in this publication) when the media is agog over a practice that glorifies and seeks to legalizes gender stereotypes, and shames and blames those who refuse to take part in the mass hysteria to sanction a practise that fetishizes the elements of women's oppression? Make up your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment