Thursday, May 5, 2011

Doubting Thomas takes it back

Yesterday we saw a report in the Toronto Star to the effect that Thomas Mulcair, deputy leader of Canada's NDP, didn't believe the US military has pictures of the corpse of Osama bin Laden. This is what Doubting Thomas said: “I don’t think, from what I’ve heard, those pictures exist, and if they do I’ll leave that up to the American military.”

Most of us thought that, being an attorney and an experienced parliamentarian and debater, he meant to say exactly what he said, and meant us to take him at his word. Apparently not so.

Today's Star quotes Mr. Mulcair as saying, “You [reporters] work in a world of words and so do I. Sometimes they don’t come out in exactly the best order and I’ll take responsibility for that perhaps in the context of a very busy week and a very happy one.”

The words didn't come out in the right order? What order should they have come out in? "Those pictures exist, I don't think."? That doesn't sound anything like "I never doubted U.S. forces killed bin Laden in Pakistan on Sunday or that photos could prove he is dead", does it. More like a lamer version of "I misspoke myself."

Walt wouldn't be surprised if Doubting Thomas had a big dinner last night...a large helping of cold tongue from his boss, "Taliban Jack" Layton. Now that he's leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, Mr. Layton is at great pains to draw a line under his party's reputation for being both leftist and anti-American. Mr. Mulcair is not helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment