Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What DO they want to be called?

Had some quick (and sharp) reaction to this afternoon's post. A reader asks me if I really mean to defend the casual use of the N-word.

Before I answer, let me say that I can think of six worse epithets that I've heard hurled at people of the coloured persuasion. For a list, send a self-addressed stamped envelope. I can also think of "bad words" used to describe people of virtually every race, ethnicity and religion. One could compile a pretty large dictionary of such slang or derogatory terms. But that doesn't mean those words should be absolutely proscribed.

The question is whether a word like "nigger" can or should be used in public speech. It seems that depends on who's using it, and in what context. I didn't hear Dr. Laura's radio show, but understand she was asking why it's OK for black people to use the N-word talking to or about each other, but not OK for whites to so refer to blacks.

I understand that. A dentist of Italian extraction [Have mercy! ed.] told me he didn't mind if another Italian called him a "wop", but he wouldn't be responsible for any damage to my teeth if I did it.

So I accept that it would be impolite for someone of my hue to utter the N-word from a public platform. That would include a radio program, except perhaps in the context of an etymological discussion. Even George Wallace learned that lesson, and by 1968 had forced himself to say "nigrah".

But now I ask, if the N-word is truly politically incorrect, is there a politically correct term that I can use to speak of...errrr...persons of colour? Over the years, the following words and phrases have all been held up to me as acceptable:

Negro, coloured (or "colored", if you like), black, African, Afro-American (or "Afro-Canadian"), African-American (presumably someone who immigrated from Africa), and, yes, person (especially woman) of colour.

I've also been told that the same words and phrases are not (or are no longer) acceptable.

Yes, yes, I know that in an ideal world we should never have any reason to describe people with reference to their colour or lack thereof. (Hello, fellow paleface!) The brotherhood of man and all that...

But this is not an ideal world. So if anyone can enlighten me [Please!!! No more!!! ed.] as to what's OK this month, I promise to use that term and only that term...until the fashion changes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment