Tuesday, May 7, 2019

VIDEO: The Hockey Guy explains how the Habs missed the playoffs

Poor Len here with a recommendation for all hockey fans, especially now that we're getting to the late stages of the NHL playoffs. This season I started watching Shannon Skanes, The Hockey Guy, on YouTube. He's also on Instagram, Twitter (follow the link) and Spotify. He's getting close to 100,000 subscribers (one being moi) on his YouTube channel, because he talks sensibly and independently (not a shill for the NHL) about the best of all sports.

As I was watching THG's review of last night's Columbus vs Boston game (Boston won, 3-0 and goes on to the NHL Eastern Conference final vs the Carolina Hurricanes), I got to thinking about where I've seen that face before. Using sophisticated facial recognition software, I came up with the answer, which you see at right. Shannon's nose isn't quite that bulbous -- guess he's not a drinker -- but if you picture W.C. Fields in a baseball/hockey cap, the resemblance would be striking!

As nearly as I can figure out, Mr Skanes is a Canuck, based somewhere near Vancouver. He likes the Vancouver Canucks, but also the Dallas Stars and Boston Bruins, whom he will be cheering for (he says today) to beat the Bunch of Jerks, as Don Cherry famously called the Hurricanes. THG doesn't like the Canadiens so much, but he does pay attention to them, as indeed he does with every other team in the NHL. That's why I like his videos. (I'm also impressed that he puts up three or four videos every day, 24/7 -- an output that Walt can only dream of!)

To explain why I like THG, even though he doesn't like "Canada's Team" so much, I'm reposting his video of April 24th in which he explains "How the Canadiens Missed the 2019 Playoffs". Quote: "Honestly, they are the best team that missed the playoffs. They are trending up."



Footnote: If you can't figure out how come I think Shannon looks like W.C. Fields, hit "pause" immediately after starting to play. I should also point out that Shannon and his other half love cats; one of the beasts is featured for about three minutes. And he has an amazing collection of hockey sweaters -- not "jerseys" but "hockey sweaters"!

No comments:

Post a Comment