Thursday, April 29, 2021

Where are we now?


I looked at this rather complex Venn diagram and under the "instersectionality" [Aha! Caught you using that buzzword! Ed.] of everything except "Gattaca", which I'd never heard of before. Turns out it's a movie, which appeared in 1997, while I was in darkest Africa. 

The summary on IMDb says (only): A genetically inferior man assumes the identity of a superior one in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel. Elsewhere, I read: The film Gattaca explores themes of genetic manipulation, freedom of self-determination, and eugenics, the practice of advocating for the genetic improvement of the human species through selective reproduction. 

Hmmm. "Selective reproduction". That would include sex-selective abortion, I suppose. I understand now why it's included in the diagram. Must get hold of a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment