Thursday, March 26, 2015

Flogging a dead donkey

Every now and then, Walt comes across an amusing anecdote in Dr CZ's notebook, which appears most Thursdays in the (Zimbabwe) Financial Gazette. Here's a story that's worth retelling.

Herbert bought a donkey from Bongani for US$100 and asked him to deliver it the next day. The next day Bongani showed up on Herbert’s place. "Sorry Herbert," he said looking really sad. "The donkey died last night."

"Okay," said Herbert, "then just give me back my money."

"Sorry," pleaded Bongani, "I already spent it!"

"Damn it!" said Herbert. "In that case, bring me the dead donkey. After all, I did pay for it, so it's mine!"

Later that day, the carcass of the donkey was offloaded at Herbert’s house. A fortnight later, Bongani bumped into Herbert and, out of curiosity, asked him what he had done with the dead donkey.

"Oh, I raffled it," said Herbert. "I sold 251 tickets at $5 each and made a clean profit of $1150! I just made sure I didn't tell them the donkey was dead."

"But didn’t people complain?" asked Bongani in amazement.

"Only the chap who won," said Herbert, "so I gave him his $5 back."

No comments:

Post a Comment