Wednesday, April 17, 2019

VIDEO: Grandpa Jones: "I'm no Communist!"

Regular readers of WWW will know that Walt is a big fan of country music, not the modern crossover stuff written in New York or LA, but the real authentic American stuff you'd hear, in the old daze, on the Grand Ole Opry and Hee Haw. I always like the late Louis Marshall "Grandpa" Jones, a regular on both shows, and have many of his recordings. But I missed one, discovered on YouTube by Ed. just today.

"I'm no Communist!" was recorded (audio only) in 1952 during the McCarthy era, while the House Un-American Activities Committee was holding its hearings. That's what Grandpa is singing about in the first minute or so, and it's kind of dated so you can ignore that part. But listen up starting at about 1:10 when he explains why he prefers the good old American free enterprise system to Communism. Quote:
"I like this private ownership, I wanna be left alone.
Let the government run its business, and let me run my own."



Something to think about as the loony left takes over control of the Democratic Party!

Further reading and viewing: "Remembering the cast of 'Hee Haw'", WWW 28/11/18.

No comments:

Post a Comment