Saturday, July 18, 2009

AdSense Nonsense

You may be wondering what happened to the "Google Ads" in the sidebar. OK, you may not be wondering, but Walt is going to tell you anyway.

When you create a blog using Blogger, you're invited to "monetize" your blog by signing up for AdSense, which, like Blogger, is part of the Google empire. If you do, they'll post ads which they think have some connection with the content of your blog. Every time a reader clicks on an ad, you get a little money. So far Walt's blog has earned one whole green US dollar.

The trouble is, you have no control over what ads are going to appear. I was dismayed to see ads for "personal" sites and sites which seemed to be promoting religious cults.

I wouldn't want you to think that I endorse that kind of thing. So...the ads are gone. If you'd like me to bring them back, just let me know. I won't be holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment